Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sydney's hatred for bikes


Sydney is one of the developed world's most hostile cities for cycling, according to a US academic who spent a sabbatical year researching ways to boost bike-riding levels in the city.

For decades Dr Pucher, from Rutgers University in New Jersey, has been riding bikes - from the cycling wonderlands of Amsterdam and Copenhagen to the car-choked streets of many US cities. But he was still stunned by his experience here.

''In Texas or in the south-east of the US it's aggressive but there was an incredible level of aggression from Sydney motorists … It's not every motorist but there were enough of them, whether it was resentment, irritability or just aggression, I don't know.''

The extremely negative attitude of Australian motorists towards cyclists has always disappointed me. I must admit that I am guilty of becoming a bit frustrated at a cyclist slowing me down when I am driving, but I am a strong supporter of cycling becoming a more common mode of transport. This is mainly due to the fact that it is cheap, does not produce any greenhouse emissions and is a fantastic way to exercise. I believe that the government needs to build more bike lanes in order to make the roads safer for cyclists and to encourage individuals to use cycling to get to work, the shops or where ever else they may want to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment